Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thoughts while working in the studio this morning...

Morning of February 4th, while working in the studio...

On craftsmanship: I am not terribly interested in perfection, in a physical sense, because the physically perfect has become commonplace. We are surrounded by mass-produced objects, each identical, each perfect. We are also surrounded by images of perfect bodies in the media, which have usually become that way by artifice - surgical or digital - and which too have become almost identical in their perfection. I am more interested in the flawed and handmade, in the wabi-sabi aesthetic, and most of all, in the ideas behind the physical form. The quest for perfection bores me. Experimentation with new forms, ideas, and materials fascinates me, but leaves little time for perfection.

Why do we fall in love with the people we do?
Often times we see in them, or seek in them, what we are lacking. My friend S is quite the showman, but often times his showmanship is at least partially constructed of bullshit. He chose for a partner a woman who is exceptionally intelligent, but also exceptionally quiet and reserved, the opposite of himself. She does not put on any show, but suddenly may reveal a depth of understanding previously hidden. As for myself, I am kind but often oblivious, my husband is very aware of others, but does not always choose to be kind. And yet there must also be some common ground. We both value loyalty, honesty, intelligence, and a good story.

All in all getting up, eating breakfast, then going to the studio for two hours was not a bad way to start the day. While it was a bit rough getting going, it put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I'll have to make this a weekend morning routine. (Today was like a weekend because Jacob had off from work.)
Work in Progrress: Cardboard armature for "dollhouse/gameboard" piece. Aprox. 24" high.

No comments:

Post a Comment